The Brian Conner Memorial Scholarship Fund
This scholarship is in memory of Brian Conner, a 1995 graduate of Courtland High School. The fund will provide scholarships to graduating seniors of Spotsylvania High Schools who have lettered in cross country or long distance track, who have exhibited leadership abilities, and who have demonstrated a desire to exceed expectations in all endeavors. Brian loved long distance running and received 12 Varsity letters for cross-country, indoor and outdoor track. He also received an academic letter for his high scholastic achievements. Brian is remembered for his motivation and his desire for individual and team success. He encouraged others to excel through his own performance, his compassionate manner and caring smile. He attended Mary Washington College for two years until joining the United States Marine Corps in 1997. The Marines considered him a leader with character. A scholarship will be awarded to a senior from a Spotsylvania County High School who demonstrates a love for running and a proven record of leadership with character.
Applicants to the Brian Conner Memorial Scholarship Fund must:
- Be graduating seniors at any Spotsylvania County High School.
- Verify participating and lettering in cross country and/or long distance track.
- Demonstrate plans to attend an institution of higher learning, which may be a 2-year or 4-year college or vocational school.
- Demonstrate qualities of leadership. Facets of leadership to be rewarded include:
- Setting an example
- Taking personal responsibility
- Encouraging and mentoring friends, family and teammates
Eligible Localities: Prince William County, Spotsylvania County
Eligible High Schools: Chancellor High School, Courtland High School, Fredericksburg Academy, Massaponax High School, Riverbend High School, Spotsylvania High School
Deadline: March 04, 2018 by 11:00 PM
Award Amount: $500
How to Apply
The online application portal will walk students through our application process.
- Students submit general information such as address and high school, as well as information about extracurricular activities or awards.
- Students use the online application to provide the name and email address of their guidance counselor and other individuals. These contacts will receive an email requesting the student’s high school transcript or a personal reference.
- Each of our various scholarships has its own essay guidelines, as described below.
Call 540 373-9292 or e-mail email@example.com for more information.
The Brian Conner Memorial Scholarship Fund also requires:
- Three reference letters: one letter from a teacher, one letter must be from a coach and the third from a personal reference. These references should be able to speak on the student's leadership abilities and personal character.
- A written statement of no more than 1500 words that answers the following:
- Brian was known for his unassuming leadership and his dedication to his teammates. A leader with character in his academic, athletic and personal life, Brian led by example, taking responsibility in encouraging those around him to do their best.
i. Define what leadership
means to you. How have you been a leader with character in your own life?
Please provide at least three examples.
ii. What does running mean to you? (What
inspires you to run?, what is your motivation?)
iii. What has been your greatest accomplishment in your cross
country and/or long distance running career to date, and what impact did this
have on you?
More information on how to Apply for a Scholarship.