The Rev. Douglas T. Pinkard Memorial Scholarship Fund
This scholarship fund was created to honor and remember Reverend Douglas T. Pinkard. Rev. Pinkard's children and extended family provide scholarships to Spotsylvania and Fredericksburg seniors in his honor. Beginning in 2013, the family is organizing a golf tournament in his name to raise money for these scholarships. To register for the golf tournament or learn more, visit the Pinkard family's website: http://revdouglaspinkardmemorial.com/2013-golf-tournament
Donate online by clicking the Donate Now button, in the header above. You will be taken to a secure web payment page.
Donors can also make a check payable to: The Community Foundation, with Rev. Pinkard Fund in the memo.
Donations may be mailed to:
The Community Foundation
Rev. Pinkard Fund
PO BOX 208
Fredericksburg, VA 22404
This scholarship fund was created in memory of Reverend Douglas T. Pinkard. He was a loving father who had five children who attended Spotsylvania County high schools. He was a Baptist Minister in the Spotsylvania community who committed his life to serving others. Some of his missions included: preaching and teaching the gospel, teaching Sunday school and feeding the hungry, as well as visiting the hospitals and prisons. At the age of 62, he was diagnosed with a brain tumor that took him home to be with the Lord. Reverend Pinkard once said, “Plant the seed, even though you may not be there to see the beauty of its maturity.”
This scholarship is given as a seed that will be planted and cultivated so others may see its beauty.
The Pinkard family wishes to memorialize their loving family member through an annual scholarship that supports Sptosylvania County or City of Fredericksburg graduates who share Reverend Pinkard’s commitment to service. At least one scholarship of $500 will be offered.
Applicants to the Rev. Douglas T. Pinkard Memorial Scholarship Fund must:
- Be a graduating senior from a public or private Spotsylvania County or City of Fredericksburg high school.
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Demonstrate plans to attend an institution of higher learning, which may be a 2-year or a 4-year college or university or professional school
- Demonstrate active involvement in academic work, school activities and community service, based on the student’s academic performance, extracurricular and community involvement.
Eligible Localities: City of Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania County
Eligible High Schools: Chancellor High School, Courtland High School, Fredericksburg Academy, Fredericksburg Christian School, James Monroe High School, Massaponax High School, Riverbend High School, Spotsylvania High School
Deadline: March 04, 2018 by 11:00 PM
Award Amount: $500
How to Apply
The online application portal will walk students through our application process.
- Students submit general information such as address and high school, as well as information about extracurricular activities or awards.
- Students use the online application to provide the name and email address of their guidance counselor and other individuals. These contacts will receive an email requesting the student’s high school transcript or a personal reference.
- Each of our various scholarships has its own essay guidelines, as described below.
Call 540 373-9292 or e-mail email@example.com for more information.
The Rev. T. Pinkard Memorial Scholarship Fund also requires:
Reverend Douglas T. Pinkard made an inspirational impact on the Spotsylvania Community. Some of his contributions included visiting hospitals, nursing homes and prisons, as well as spreading the gospel. Write an essay about the seeds you have planted in the community. In addition, tell about your future goals and plans for planting future seeds.
- A copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR) Summary page as documentation of financial need.
- Two letters of recommendation from the following sources (choose two): teacher, counselor, pastor, mentor, principal.
- An essay of no more than 900 words that addresses the following:
More information on how to Apply for a Scholarship.