The Ian and Jalen Brown Legacy Scholarship Fund
The Ian and Jalen Brown Legacy Scholarship Fund was created to honor the legacy of Ian and Jalen Brown - two vivacious brothers who attended Spotsylvania High School and inspired laughter in everyone who knew them.
Ian Brown was a senior of the class of 2016, a member of the soccer team and a big-hearted older brother. He once told his family that he did not want to miss a thing - and he jammed more into his 18 years than many people do in a lifetime.
Jalen Brown was a sophomore of the class of 2018 who shared his love of life with his cross country and track teammates, his friends, and his family. He is remembered for the signature wide smile that encapsulated his joyful and fun-loving approach to life.
Tragically, the brothers lost their lives in an automobile accident in November 2015 while on their way to school.
Loved unconditionally, the Brown brothers were an inspiration to others. They were known for their optimistic outlooks, big hearts, and infectious smiles. Ian and Jalen's family and many friends established this scholarship fund to support deserving students who share the boys' ability to spread kindness and to positively impact others around them.
Each year, one to two scholarships of $1,000 will be awarded to Spotsylvania High School seniors who embody the positive spirits of Ian and Jalen. One award will support a college or university-bound student, the other will support a vocational or career/technical student. These awards are renewable for up to four years when the recipients maintain good academic standing.
Applicants to The Ian D. and Jalen G. Brown Legacy Scholarship Fund must:
- Be a graduating senior from Spotsylvania High School with a minimum GPA of 3.0 (university-bound student) or 2.5 (career technical student).
- Display a positive impact in their community or amongst their peers.
- Demonstrate plans to attend an institution of higher education, which may be a 2-year or 4-year college or university, or a career technical or vocational trade school.
Preference will be given to students with demonstrated financial need.
Eligible Localities: Spotsylvania County
Eligible High Schools: Spotsylvania High School
Deadline: March 03, 2019 by 11:00 PM
Award Amount: $1,000
How to Apply
The online application portal will walk students through our application process.
- Students submit general information such as address and high school, as well as information about extracurricular activities or awards.
- Students use the online application to provide the name and email address of their guidance counselor and other individuals. These contacts will receive an email requesting the student’s high school transcript or a personal reference.
- Each of our various scholarships has its own essay guidelines, as described below.
Call 540 373-9292 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Ian D. and Jalen G. Brown Legacy Scholarship Fund requires an essay of no more than 900 words that answers the question:
Why do you believe simple acts of kindness are important? What are some examples of ways you have brought a positive influence to your community?
More information on how to Apply for a Scholarship.