The John C. Neal Scholarship Fund
This scholarship was established by Union Bank and Trust in recognition of President John C. Neal on the occasion of his retirement. In recognition of his 25 years of service at the bank, Union and The Community Foundation intend for this new fund to reflect Mr. Neal's commitment and dedication to our region by supporting the further education of area students with a passion for service to their communities.
"If you were to look up the definition of a true community banker, you would most likely find a picture of John Neal as an example," said G. William Beale, president and CEO of Union Bankshares Corporation. "
John was instrumental in the growth of Union in the Fredericksburg region when he first joined in 1991 and later brought the same commitment and dedication to his role as bank president. John has always understood that in order for a community bank to grow, it has to help the community it serves grow."
With their gift, Union Bank and Trust will support the education of a student or students who have demonstrated significant service to their community. This fund will award one scholarship of at least $500 to a promising local high school senior.
Applicants to The John C. Neal Scholarship must:
- Be a graduating senior from any Fredericksburg City or Spotsylvania, Stafford, Caroline or King George County Schools.
- Demonstrate significant service to their community.
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Demonstrate plans to attend an institution of higher learning, which may be a 2-year or 4-year college or vocational school.
Eligible Localities: Caroline County, City of Fredericksburg, King George County, Spotsylvania County, Stafford County
Eligible High Schools: Home Schooled, Brooke Point High School, Caroline High School, Chancellor High School, Colonial Beach High School, Colonial Forge High School, Courtland High School, Fredericksburg Academy, Fredericksburg Christian School, James Monroe High School, King George High School, Massaponax High School, Mountain View High School, North Stafford High School, Riverbend High School, Spotsylvania High School, Stafford Senior High School
Deadline: March 03, 2019 by 11:00 PM
Award Amount: $1000
How to Apply
The online application portal will walk students through our application process.
- Students submit general information such as address and high school, as well as information about extracurricular activities or awards.
- Students use the online application to provide the name and email address of their guidance counselor and other individuals. These contacts will receive an email requesting the student’s high school transcript or a personal reference.
- Each of our various scholarships has its own essay guidelines, as described below.
Call 540 373-9292 or e-mail email@example.com for more information.
The John C. Neal Scholarship also requires an essay of up to 900 words that include the following:
- Why is volunteering service important to a community?
- Describe how you have contributed to the life of your community through extracurricular activities, church activities or other volunteer activities.
- Reflect on the personal significance of these activities and your plans for the future.
More information on how to Apply for a Scholarship.