The Mary E. Berger Scholarship Fund
The Mary E. Berger Scholarship was established with a gift from Mary E. Berger and a future gift by the estate of Mary E. Berger to assist students who wish to attend college or university or professional school to pursue studies in art, music, history, political science, English, journalism and related liberal arts subject.
Applicants to the Mary E. Berger Scholarship Fund must:
- Be enrolled at any high school from the Virginia cites of Fredericksburg and Lynchburg or the counties of Caroline, King George, Stafford, Spotsylvania and Orange.
- Have a GPA of 2.5 or greater.
- Demonstrate strong academic work, and participation in school extra curricular activities as Art club, Band and or Orchestra, Drama club, school publications, debate club as well as sports that indicate involvement beyond class room studies.
- Leadership in school activities and community service, based on the student’s extracurricular and community involvement, is a key determining factor for scholarship reviewers.
- Demonstrate plans to attend an institution of higher learning, which may be a 2-year or a 4-year college or university or professional school (May be renewed. Contact the Community Foundation for renewal application instructions.)
Eligible Localities: Caroline County, City of Fredericksburg, City of Lynchburg, King George County, Orange County, Spotsylvania County, Stafford County
Eligible High Schools: Brooke Point High School, Caroline High School, Chancellor High School, Colonial Beach High School, Colonial Forge High School, Courtland High School, E. C. Glass High School, Fredericksburg Academy, Fredericksburg Christian School, Heritage High School, James Monroe High School, King George High School, Massaponax High School, Mountain View High School, North Stafford High School, Orange County High School, Riverbend High School, Spotsylvania High School, Stafford Senior High School
Deadline: March 04, 2018 by 11:00 PM
Award Amount: $500
How to Apply
The online application portal will walk students through our application process.
- Students submit general information such as address and high school, as well as information about extracurricular activities or awards.
- Students use the online application to provide the name and email address of their guidance counselor and other individuals. These contacts will receive an email requesting the student’s high school transcript or a personal reference.
- Each of our various scholarships has its own essay guidelines, as described below.
Call 540 373-9292 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Mary E. Berger Scholarship Fund also requires:
- A copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR) Summary page as documentation of financial need.
- Two letters of reference addressing the student’s academic promise and character. The letters must be from different sources such as teacher, volunteer coordinator, adult supervisor, employer, etc.
- A two-page typed double spaced essay that includes the following:
- Explain reasons for applying for this scholarship, long term goals, and plans for achieving them.
- Outline school extracurricular activities and community service.
More information on how to Apply for a Scholarship.