The Robert H. Bradley, Jr. Memorial Golf Scholarship Fund
This scholarship fund was established in December 2013 by M.J. Bradley, Bob Bradley’s wife of 38 years, and his many friends, family members and golf buddies.
Robert Holyman Bradley, Jr., known to all as Bob, grew up in Clifton Forge, Virginia. He moved to the Fredericksburg area in 1971 but never lessened his close ties to his hometown. Sports were a major part of Bob’s life from an early age. Bob and his brother David began playing baseball as children and he was known to love – and excel at – basketball, football and especially golf.
Family members, friends and colleagues admired Bob for his seemingly endless resources of strength and positive energy – in his golf game, in the face of serious health concerns and, indeed, in life. Bob battled kidney failure, which included two transplant surgeries and five years of dialysyis, as well as cancer with dignity, determination and humor.
This scholarship is intended to memorialize Bob Bradley and his lifetime passion for golf. Bob “lived and breathed” golf. He lived next to the Country Club where he was a thirty-five year member, an organizational leader and a very active player. Bob was a successful player at that. He and his brother won the Fredericksburg Country Club member/guest tournament so many times they influenced the club to change the tournament format. He won the club championship on two occasions and he also won the Virginia State Golf Association Championship as part of a two-man team.
Each year, at least one $500 scholarship will be given to a high school senior who demonstrates a similarly meaningful commitment to the game of golf.
Applicants to The Robert H. Bradley, Jr. Memorial Golf Scholarship Fund must:
- Be a graduating senior from the City of Fredericksburg or the counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania, Stafford or Bob’s home town of Clifton Forge, VA
- Demonstrate plans to attend an institution of higher education (to include two-year and four-year colleges and universities, certified trade and vocational schools, or a certified golf college.).
- Demonstrate significant involvement in the game of golf.
Eligible Localities: Caroline County, City of Fredericksburg, Clifton Forge, King George County, Spotsylvania County, Stafford County
Eligible High Schools: Allegany High School, Brooke Point High School, Caroline High School, Chancellor High School, Colonial Forge High School, Courtland High School, Fredericksburg Academy, Fredericksburg Christian School, James Monroe High School, King George High School, Massaponax High School, Mountain View High School, North Stafford High School, Riverbend High School, Spotsylvania High School, Stafford Senior High School
Deadline: March 01, 2020 by 11:00 PM
Award Amount: $500
How to Apply
The online application portal will walk students through our application process.
- Students submit general information such as address and high school, as well as information about extracurricular activities or awards.
- Students use the online application to provide the name and email address of their guidance counselor and other individuals. These contacts will receive an email requesting the student’s high school transcript or a personal reference.
- Each of our various scholarships has its own essay guidelines, as described below.
Call 540 373-9292 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Robert H. Bradley, Jr. Memorial Golf Scholarship also requires:
- Two letters of recommendation. Referrals should be from two different sources (a teacher, counselor, coach, employer or someone outside of your family who knows you well.)
- An essay of up to two pages that outlines:
Describe how you have been involved with golf over the years. Why is the game of golf important to you? How has it influenced your character?
More information on how to Apply for a Scholarship.