The Rosie Lee Dawson Scholarship Fund
This scholarship fund was established in September 2013 by Mrs. Dawson’s attorney in keeping with the hopes described in her will. Mrs. Dawson was the widow of Robert Dawson, a Fredericksburg community leader who worked at the FMC Corporation, and later at the Federal Reserve Bank in Culpeper. Rosie Dawson, who survived her husband by 11 years, was loved and regarded as family by the staff at Woodmont Nursing Home where she lived out her days. She was known for her abiding love of music and her humor. She enjoyed fellowship over a cup of coffee and she loved using her notable sense of humor to bring a smile to the faces around her.
Rosie Dawson hoped that any remainder of her estate could be used to advance the lives of African American youth.
In honor of Mrs. Dawson, at least two scholarships of $1,000 will be given to an area senior.
Applicants to The Rosie Lee Dawson Scholarship Fund must:
- Be of African-American descent.
- Be a graduating senior from the City of Fredericksburg or Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania, Stafford or Orange County
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.75.
- Demonstrate plans to attend an institution of higher education (to include two-year and four-year colleges and universities, and certified trade and vocational schools).
Eligible Localities: Caroline County, City of Fredericksburg, King George County, Orange County, Spotsylvania County, Stafford County
Eligible High Schools: Home Schooled, Caroline High School, Chancellor High School, Colonial Forge High School, Courtland High School, Fredericksburg Academy, Fredericksburg Christian School, James Monroe High School, King George High School, Massaponax High School, Mountain View High School, North Stafford High School, Orange County High School, Spotsylvania High School, Stafford Senior High School
Deadline: March 05, 2017 by 11:00 PM
Award Amount: $1,000
How to Apply
The online application portal will walk students through our application process.
- Students submit general information such as address and high school, as well as information about extracurricular activities or awards.
- Students use the online application to provide the name and email address of their guidance counselor and other individuals. These contacts will receive an email requesting the student’s high school transcript or a personal reference.
- Each of our various scholarships has its own essay guidelines, as described below.
Call 540 373-9292 or e-mail email@example.com for more information.
The Rosie Lee Dawson Scholarship also requires:
- A copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR) Summary page as documentation of financial need.
- Two letters of recommendation. Referrals should be from two different sources (a teacher, counselor, coach, employer or someone outside of your family who
- An essay of up to two pages that outlines:
Your most meaningful personal achievements and how they relate to your field of study and your future goals.
More information on how to Apply for a Scholarship.