The Sofia Silva Scholarship Fund
This scholarship fund is established to preserve the memory of Sofia Silva, an active teenage member of Acteens and Fairview Baptist Church. Sofia demonstrated a strong commitment to academics and to living a careful Christian life. The scholarship will be given to the student who promotes the pursuit of youth excellence and who developed through involvement in church, community service, and academics. The applicant must be a graduating senior at a Fredericksburg, Stafford or Spotsylvania County school.
Applicants to the Sofia Silva Scholarship Fund must:
- Be a student from any Fredericksburg, Stafford or Spotsylvania County.
- Have an overall grade point average of 3.3 or better.
- Show significant involvement in a Christian church.
- Exhibit qualities of hard work, honesty, trustworthiness, reverence, cleanliness, and friendship.
Eligible Localities: City of Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania County, Stafford County
Eligible High Schools: Brooke Point High School, Chancellor High School, Colonial Forge High School, Courtland High School, Fredericksburg Academy, Fredericksburg Christian School, James Monroe High School, Massaponax High School, Mountain View High School, North Stafford High School, Riverbend High School, Spotsylvania High School, Stafford Senior High School
Deadline: March 01, 2020 by 11:00 PM
Award Amount: $500 or more
How to Apply
The online application portal will walk students through our application process.
- Students submit general information such as address and high school, as well as information about extracurricular activities or awards.
- Students use the online application to provide the name and email address of their guidance counselor and other individuals. These contacts will receive an email requesting the student’s high school transcript or a personal reference.
- Each of our various scholarships has its own essay guidelines, as described below.
Call 540 373-9292 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Sofia Silva Scholarship Fund also requires:
- A copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR) Summary page as documentation of financial need.
- Four letters of reference: three letters from teachers and/or counselors, and one from your religious leader.
- A personal essay up to 900 words that includes the following information: (a) primary extracurricular activities (for example: scouting, athletics, coaching, music, church, community service), and indicate time spent in each activity and any specific contributions and awards that you have received; (b) List work/volunteer experience, including length of time employed and hours per week worked/volunteered. (c) How has this work made you a better person? (d) What are your academic and personal strengths? Give one example of each. (e) Identify one of your academic and personal weaknesses, and indicate how you are trying to improve yourself. (f) List any hobbies, travel experiences, or other personal experiences that have contributed to your personal growth. (g) What do you plan to study in college? How did you become interested in this area? (h) Do you have a career goal in mind at this time, and what influenced your interest? (i) Please comment on any unusual circumstances or expenses that might be a financial burden to your family. (j) What distinguishes you from every other student applying to college?
More information on how to Apply for a Scholarship.