make a charitible impact
The Jeremy Daniel Hawley Skilled Trades and Technical Education Fund
Humility and hard work -- this scholarship was established in memory of Jeremy Daniel Hawley, who personified these two ideas. A 2001 graduate of Fredericksburg Christian High School and resident of King George county, Jeremy was admired by friends and family, fellow students and teachers for his character and integrity, his community service and his strong commitment to Christian values.
Jeremy was not known for his academic success, but rather for his strong internal compass and his drive to be successful on his own terms. He completed a community college certificate program in heavy equipment operation and began working for a builder while taking business classes at night. In less than a year he had progressed to crew supervisor in his job, but in 2003 an automobile accident took his life before he could realize his dream of running his own excavation business.
This scholarship is intended to promote hard work, skilled trades and personal character in the name of Jeremy Hawley. Scholarships are awarded to individuals with similarly independent spirits to fulfill their aspirations by supporting technical education or skilled trade certification or a related business degree.
To contribute to this fund, simply click Donate Now.
Donations may also be mailed to:
The Community Foundation - The Jeremy Daniel Hawley Skilled Trades and Technical Education Fund
PO Box 208, Fredericksburg, VA 22404-0208
Please make your check payable to: The Jeremy Daniel Hawley Skilled Trades and Technical Education Fund
About Scholarship Funds
Donors help area students achieve their dreams by establishing or contributing to a scholarship fund at The Community Foundation. Scholarship funds are flexible and can be structured to benefit students at any education level, or for a specific institution. Donors often use scholarship funds to honor or memorialize a loved one.
Donors maintain an active voice in the student selection process while they rely upon The Community Foundation’s Scholarship Committee to handle the necessary paperwork and ensure that scholarships are distributed equitably.
Let us help you create the fund that works best for your charitable giving goals!
Apply for a Scholarship
Applicants to this fund must:
- Be a high school senior attending Fredericksburg Christian, King George High School or an equivalent King George County home school student.
- Have attained a “C” or better overall grade point average.
- Show intention to pursue any skilled trade, vocational or technical education certification or degree, or a similar business program.
Eligible Localities: King George County, Spotsylvania County
Eligible High Schools: Home Schooled, Fredericksburg Christian School, King George High School
How to Apply
The online application portal will walk students through our application process.
- Students submit general information such as address and high school, as well as information about extracurricular activities or awards.
- Students use the online application to provide the name and email address of their guidance counselor and other individuals. These contacts will receive an email requesting the student’s high school transcript or a personal reference.
- Each of our various scholarships has its own essay guidelines, as described below.
Call 540 373-9292 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Please provide an essay of up to 900 words on the following topics:
- What vocation or trade are you pursuing and how would this scholarship help to achieve your goal?
- Please include your thoughts and feelings about the importance of humility and hard work, as well as Christian values and community service. Please also share any hardships you have overcome.
- How were you successful in the face of this challenge?