The Nuckols Family UVA Law Scholarship in Honor of Gary M. Nuckols
This scholarship has been given by the family of Gary M. Nuckols to honor his memory.
Gary was a 1971 graduate of the McIntire School of Commerce (Wall Street Journal Student Achievement Award) and a 1974 graduate of the Law School. He was a proud graduate of the University who combined his undergraduate and law education in the practice of business law for nearly 44 years, most of which were spent in his home town of Fredericksburg.
We are pleased to provide this tuition assistance as a tribute to a lawyer whose dedication, integrity and community commitment defined him.
Please reflect on his gratitude for the quality of his education and his desire to help people as you pursue a law degree from his alma mater.
Alice G. Nuckols
Benjamin G. Nuckols
Kathryn N. Shaw
Applicants to The Nuckols Family UVA Law Scholarship in Honor of Gary M. Nuckols must:
- Be enrolling in or currently enrolled in the University of Virginia’s School of Law to be eligible for a scholarship award.
- Provide proof (i.e. driver’s license, student ID, diploma, transcript, tax bill, utility bill, etc.) of one of the following requirements:
- Graduated from a high school located in Planning District 16 (Counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania, Stafford and City of Fredericksburg) in Virginia, OR
- Current resident of Virginia and received undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia, OR
- Current resident of Virginia.
Preference will be given to applicants who graduated from a high school located in Planning District 16, but any qualifying University of Virginia student is encouraged to apply.
Deadline: June 1, 2023 by 11:59 PM
Award Amount: $5,000. Student winners may re-apply for funding on an annual basis.
Scholarship Application Criteria, Guidelines and Requirements
All scholarship candidates must submit a complete and accurate application and must include all required supplemental materials to apply for The Nuckols Family UVA Law Scholarship in Honor of Gary M. Nuckols.
All materials must be submitted via email to email@example.com by June 1, 2023 to be considered.
All awards are distributed at the discretion of The Community Foundation of the Rappahannock River Region Scholarship Committee. The Community Foundation reserves the right to request additional information from any scholarship applicant.
All applicants must be enrolling in or currently enrolled in the University of Virginia’s School of Law to be eligible for a scholarship award.
The following supporting data must be submitted to be considered for this scholarship:
- Evidence of Enrollment and Eligibility:
The applicant MUST submit his or her letter of acceptance to University of Virginia School of Law and proof of enrollment with his or her scholarship application. The applicant must also submit proof of one or more of the eligibility requirements – current Virginia resident, received undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia or graduated from a high school in Planning District 16.
- Personal Statement:
The applicant MUST submit a typed personal statement with his or her scholarship application. The personal statement shall not exceed two pages in length. Scholarship applications accompanied by a personal statement not in conformance with these guidelines will not be considered. The personal statement shall discuss the following:
- Why did you decide to attend law school?
- Why did you choose UVA Law School?
- What do you see as the role of the lawyer in society?
- What effect will this scholarship have on your UVA Law School career?
- What are your career goals?
- Where do you intend to practice?
- Scholarship Application:
Please complete this downloadable application and submit with all other required materials. Students will be required to list any sources of funding, including loans, financial aid, other scholarships, etc.